Since its inaugural season back in 2007, the Frost King has been a showcase for two year old foals of Ontario to be able to capture a restricted Ontario event. 2014 winner Honey Badger ( Maverick Racing ) still holds the event record time of 1:21.74, the only sub 1:22 time ever recorded for this affair. Hopefully we will see an interesting finish today.
- Frost King Stakes – Purse $100.000
- Woodbine Racetrack – For Two year olds, Foaled in ON.
- Seven furlongs- Main track
- November 9th, 2019
It is kind of interesting that I would find myself assigned to an event that was named in honor of a horse who won the very first Real Life stakes race I had ever witness. In the world of humans, and tigers and bears oh my, I travelled up to Toronto to the then Greenwood Raceway near the shores of Lake Ontario. There I would see Frost King capture the Jacques Cartier Stakes in 1982, and from that time forward, I was hooked on the sport. The real life race was for four year olds and up, but here in our fantasy life, the entries are all juveniles, and one of these four will be crowned Frost King Champion.
1 Metal To Mist ( Crocker Ggs ) – Won his opening two races taking home his maiden win, then over this track surface at five eights of a mile, won an Alw47.5/N2L affair. His most recent try was stretched out to a mile in distance in the $100 Saplin, and while he was made the 4-5 favorite at post time, he maintained a fourth place position throughout. Missing by two lengths, with a final quarter going in a mere 25 seconds. Returns after 68 days off. Should be in the top three today.
2 Techno War ( The Sidley Stud ) – Has two wins in four career starts and after his maiden win and a win in a minor OpClm5/N2-N race, he stepped right up to the plate at this venue trying the $100 Bull Page Stakes, a restricted affair as well. His effort in that race had him going from seventh to fourth, while remain three lengths shy. That was at six furlongs in distance and the added furlong may or may not help him, but with this smaller field, there is money to be made here. Returns after 47 days off.
3. Romantic Boots ( Drabfantasy ) – Has just one lone maiden special weight race to his credit, and that was over at Charles Town going a sprint at four and a half furlongs. Has been using both Keeneland and Churchill for concentrating his works last month, and did post a 58 and one for five furlongs on both the grass and dirt. Trainer has gone with a rider who likes to challenge late down the stretch, so he may just jump through hoops today to get this one at the line. Upsetter.
4. Bobbin For Stars ( Arindel )- This trainer is still in his first season here at HRP, but he has taken home three Graded stakes affairs, the biggest being the Gr.I Hirsch Turf Classic. Just missed on grabbing a BC victory last weekend when Lucky Storm closed up to be second in the BC Juvenile Turf. This bay colt has been a regular here at Woodbine with four of his six efforts, and he has managed to capture two victories. Will be closing down the lane in this affair, and this distance should allow him to get top billing at the line. Favorite. Note: If we had a rookie trainer of the year, he would get my vote.