While Brittle ( Aer Stables ) and Sweet Sweat ( Mb Stables ) sit atop the TC points ladder in first and second, entering the Smarty Jones here at Oaklawn Park in Arkansas seems to have the kiss of death attached to it in being able to have any success in winning a TC title.
- Smarty Jones ( KYD ) Purse $150.000
- Oaklawn Park – For Three Year olds
- One Mile in Distance- Main Track
- January 24th, 2020
Winning this event has never once in its past ten seasons here at HRP has seen a winner go on and claim a single Triple Crown event. Not one, not ever. Many have left themselves in complete ruins following this event, not having found a single victory at any level in future affairs. The closest any thoroughbred has come to some type of consistency during the Triple Crown came in 2017 when a horse by the name of They All Laughed ( Mb Stables ) placed second in the Derby, third in the Preakness, and fourth in the Belmont. He would try his hand at the Prince Of Wales for the Canadian Triple Crown but was sixth in that endeavour , and as a hot favorite in an Alw42 race, he was away in fourth there as well. He would be sold for sawbuck to Big V Stables where he has yet to sire a major winner.
So why have thirteen shown up here on Friday in hopes of capturing this title and ten crucial KYD points? It beats me, because I would be heading to the stables and taking a flyer on this event. But we have thirteen, definitely living up to its unlucky nature ,so lets see if we can find this years top three contenders;
1. Lucky But – Night Rider Stables…Has been improving in ever event he has competed in last season, should be stalking the pace here and putting in a late running effort to the line. Looking for a share.
2. One Zero- Chili King Stables…Competed in three miler last season with just his maiden victory. Should be poised to make a run down the lane but will fall short of the mark.
3. Midnight Bisou– D J C Racing Stables…Last season he just found his only victory coming in a maiden win at AQU, and had no stakes experience last year. No 90+ SRF numbers has me looking elsewhere.
4. Groovy- Mb Stables…Was purchased and then sent to the Gr.II Remsen where he controlled the pace. Only faded late in that nine panel event, and his record shows he likes the money. In the hunt.
5. Tiger Beach– Smokey Stover…Grabbed his maiden and a Allowance win up at WO to close out last season, but both of those wins came on the grass. Switches back here, and has had sixty plus days to reform. May inspire.
6. Steak And Potatoes– Maxmillion Farm…This trainer produced two wins after the purchase last season, but this sophomore has only seen sprint event last season, so can he go the distance? I would wait on this one.
8. Yankee Doodle Dandy– John Henry…This runner has the most Graded experience amongst this group, but remained unsuccessful. Lighter field should help and should have a say in this event. Factor
9. Disco Duck– Crocker Ggs…Closed out last season winning his maiden race, and this will be his first real challenge. Has made a few changes to his adds, so may be a reason to pass this time around.
10. Magical Emperor– La Canada Racehorses…Finished on the fringes in both of his stakes events last season, and maturity seems to have helped in the morning. Hopefully he can get a bit closer for a minor share here.
11. Far Laugh– Greeko Holdem…After breaking his maiden, stepped right into the tough claiming ranks and closed out last season with his second win. needs his best for this miler, but could surprise.
12. Great Britain– John Henry…Second entry for this trainer who raced in three stakes events to close out last season. Was gelded before her final event and he showed nice improvement. If he is ready, has the ability.
13. Black Spade– Tiratzo…Closed out last season with back to back victories, and they came after his gelding, and as post time favorite in both events. This is a step up and the outside post is not forgiving. Uphill battle today.
Picks- 4-8-( 10-12 )