This will be Chili King Stables Awaiting’s first start since his fifth place finish in last seasons Breeders Cup Juvenile Turf event, and his first on track morning work looks like he is poised to get things under way this season.
- Texas Turf Mile – Purse $200.000
- Sam Houston Race Park- For Three Year Olds
- One Mile in Distance- Turf track
- January 26th, 2020
This is the inaugural race for the Texas Turf Mile, so winning this year will always hold a special moment for its trainer and rider. Weather conditions are up in the air come post time as there is a call for isolated showers on the day. Hopefully we will see a firm turf on the day, giving all runners their best footing. While many three year olds tend to make the switch to the dirt in their opener of the season to see how well a route event will highlight their late kick, these runners have decided to keep the turf footing underneath them. Lets take a look at this field and see who may come out on top.
1.Lab Cat– Our Athletes…Trainer already has a stellar turfer in La Terrifiant, and he is hoping this sophomore can produce from the rail. Closed out last season with three eight and a half panel events, and he may be making a late charge to the line. Top rider aboard and rail are all pluses.
2.Declassified– Mb Stables…Had two great finishes going a mile on the turf, one just missing in the Gr. I Summer Stakes. Throw out the final dirt event after a disappointing BC Juvenile Turf, and the move back to the sod should prove profitable.
3.Ill Have Another– Gdp Inc.…Made the switch to the grass in late September for his final two, and he walked away with a runner-up effort and a victory. While both were not at the stakes level, he earned a 95 SRF in the Belmont effort. Don’t discount too early.
4.Iron Nation– Nakamura Stables…After his geld, he put in a nice neck miss in last seasons Im Smokin Stakes, this will be his first start on the turf and his past three morning works have shown he likes the footing. Could be a nice backing if he goes for price.
5.Awaiting– Chili King Stables…Tried to steal the BC Juvenile Turf on the front end last season, and I doubt his trainer will attempt that style in this race. Should be in stalking position like he did in the Bourbon, and that will play well for a shot at the victory.
6.Fuji– Smokey Stover…Moved to the turf after his maiden victory to capture an Allowance company affair at today’s distance. Hit PRX to close out last season with two mile works, both stellar times and this trainer is know for perfecting placement. One to watch.
7.Beyond Blue Eyes– Luz International…made the geld in June work for him in his following two making the switch to the grass. Was runner=up in his first event, then broke his maiden the following month. Concerned with the time away since August, but if the distance isn’t too long, could grab a share if race goes his way.
8.Witch Grinder– T Boy Racing… Fellow writer here at the SRF is hoping that this bay will continue his purse snatcher ways and grab another share. Had two wins and just a neck miss in the third affair, but will need to battle through some higher caliber runners here. Slightly slower mile times could have him on the fringes.
9. Commanding Runner– NJ Vets...Was left near the back early on in last seasons BC Juvenile Turf and he had to work through traffic late to finish four shy by the line. Makes another step up in weight carrying 124 this time around, and that may place an effect on his placing.
10. Hammerfest– Smokey Stover…Second runner for this trainer and the only other runner strapped with the 124 mark on his back. Has four starts and four straight wins in his career and should be the odds on favorite, and rider is firing at 35 percent. Give him the nod here.
11. Through The World– Midnight Racing…A lightly raced trainer definitely must be disappointed with this outside post. This has two wins on the grass at today’s distance, and two runner-up efforts in four career starts. Trainer already has a Gr. III win with Angel Chance, and will be all out down the lane.