For Fillies and Mares 4 year olds and upward going the distance of 1 1/4 on the grass. 11 runners line up to dash for the cash, including 5 Breeders Cup Filly and Mare Turf participants, so that tells you how salty this field is. Let’s take a look at this year’s Santa Ana Stakes.
- Sketch The Way trained by Williams9: This filly has faced some really good horses, and today will be no exception. Shes gone winless in her last 7 outs and has not even rounded out the bottom of the exacta. With a number of tough competitors in here, this filly needs a race to boost her confidence up.
- Queens Command trained by Allinthegate: This filly came from the clouds last time to win a little stake at Turf Paradise but will have to improve even more to be in the top 4 in this race. With 14 career starts, only 2 have been on the turf, so this one faces some challenges.
- Anahola trained by Threshold: This filly had a break through race last year at Belmont but has not found form since then running at best a well beaten 4th. She has proved she can perform at this level but will need to find her form.
- Number Nine trained by Spankys Barn: This filly stalked in the BCFMT last fall and weekend late and finished 7th beaten 4 lengths, since then her last 2 performances have not been impressive at all.
- Grand Dragonville trained by Smoky Stover: This filly stalked in the BCFMT last fall but had nothing left in the tank finishing 11th beaten 5. In her comeback race this year she finished 2nd by a nose to allowance company.
- Angel Shark trained by John Henry: Angel shark came from the clouds in the BCFMT last fall and passed nearly everyone to finish a very good 4th by 3 lengths. In her most recent start she came off the pace in a stake at Gulf Stream Park to win. She will be a tough horse to beat, if there is any kind of pace in this race.
- Lower Merion trained by Chili King Stables: This filly has not found the winner circle since last April but has been hitting the board at a good rate. She will need everything to go her way to win this race and break the losing streak.
- Trippi Tip Toe trained by Estero Farms: Finished 2nd in last year’s BCFMT, beaten only a neck a long price. Her last out concerns me though, where she did not show up and run at all. She is the high earner of the field, but will have to show up to beat this tough field.
- Delinquent Assembly trained by Nakamura Stables: She comes in on a 4 race win streak, trying to make it 5, but will have some stiff company to face. Should be the pace of the race, but stretching out to a mile and a quarter might be her biggest problem.
- Low Key Desires trained by Aer Stables: Comes in off a G3 score where she came from way off the pace and passed everyone. If the pace is hot, this one will be talking late.
- Hopewell Tradition trained by Team 7 Illusions: Finished 8th by 4 lengths in last years BCFMT. She looks like she can win from about anywhere. If they are going fast, she will lag behind If they crawl up top, she will be closer, and that makes her one to watch because she is capable of that.
Good Luck To All!