Mb Stables initially was going to the gate with three entries for this affair, but with the scratch of one his runners, the door has opened wide for this seasons Gr. III FG Stakes winner to try to double up on the year.
- Makers Mark Mile ( Gr. I ) Purse $400.000
- Keenland Park- For Four Year olds and Up
- One Mile in Distance- Turf Course
- Friday April 10th, 2020
While its looking like my fellow writer T Boy has a good chance at capturing the earlier Limestone Sprint here, a full dozen will compete in this seasons Makers Mark Mile on the grass in the feature. It seems that all the best runners will have to break from the extreme outside post positions, and if they all set instructions the same, it could open up for a longshot runner from the inside to bring it on home.
Mb Stables initially had three runners, but he sent Pure Gift packing and on his way home. Surprising he chose that entry as he had the best World Ranking of the three for route and turf events with 109, so we will have to see just how his other two stack up against a stronger field.
So here is the rundown for this field, outside in for a change ( just to hopefully give life some perspective during these trying times)
13. Multiple Shadows ( Our Athletes ) Jockey- Prat F… As mentioned in the opening remarks, this five year old captured the FG Stakes down in Louisiana back in mid February, and now returns after just under sixty days. He had to work to get to the line in time in that nine furlong affair, so will the post and shorter distance work against him? SRF numbers have been on the rise and he is the only one with a 100 score in his last start! Needs positioning off the turn to be successful.
12.Going Gone ( John Henry ) Jockey- Centeno D E... Has had just one race this season and ran an even affair in the FG Stakes behind today’s outside runner. That should work as a nice platform for this event if he can overcome starting from the outside. Did manage to post two back to back 100+ SRF figures last season against Graded company runners, and if he finds that spirit once again for this event he should be in the hunt late. All depends on how Centeno puts this one together. Consider.
11. Cherra Grans ( Team 7 Illusions ) Jockey- Saez G….Is one of two in this race who were sired by Cherokee Sunset and is coming off a victory in his most recent Gr. III TAM Stakes race when going a mile and a sixteenth. The added distance over today’s affair maybe what this four year old needs, but he did miss by just a nose and a neck in two Grade I events last season going a mile. One event he earned a 101 SRF, so look for hime to be right there in the photo once again.
10. Pure Gift ( Mb Stables )- SCRATCHED
9. City Of Bones ( John Henry ) Jockey- Maldonado E… A regular at both the grass and today’s distance in nine of his past ten races. His past four events have all been raced over at Santa Anita and while his last was a victory in the Gr. III Thunder Road affair, he would grab a share in all four races. His best performance in my opinion came last year as a sophomore when he would just miss by a half a length in the BC Mile event where he closed from eleventh position into the turn for home for a runner-up finish. Another who will make this event a brilliant one.
8. Dreaming Of Pirates ( Estero Farms ) Jockey- Tunon M… Rider was on a tear early in the season, but now his record has seem to level out with more mounts. Has finished behind City Of Bones in both last seasons BC Mile affair and in his most recent Gr. III Thunder Road race, so he will be needing to bring the Big Guns for this event if he wants to topple that runner. Has been unraced in the past 60 days so that may help and he did post a nice bullet work here at the end of March in prep for today. Fringe player today.
7. Arkenstone ( Mb Stables) Jockey- Hernandez B J Jr.…Has been testing the waters going longer in his past two starts and had to contend with an off track two starts ago in the Gr. III Connally BC Turf race down at HOU. Will be interesting to see if his trainer continues to keep him near the front end as he has raced in previous events to stay in the hunt, and if by stretching him out has aided in him sticking around in the final furlong at this distance. Has worked just four days prior to this event.
6. The Force Awakens ( Diablo Diablo ) Jockey-Bahen S.R….After a very nice victory in the Gr.II Seabiscuit Hdcp. to close out last season, trainer was quick to move him right up to open this year. Competed in the Gr. I Pegasus World Cup going a mile and three sixteenths, and would finish twelveth in that affair. Trainer brought him back to earth in his next race to refocus him, and he won against an Alw33 group of runners in a nice fast time. That should have better focus for this event and could be the upsetter of the group.
5. Decision In Five ( Nakamura Stables ) Jockey-Gryder A T…New legs have been placed in the irons for this event as rider L Saez is left along the sidelines after six straight efforts. This five year old has not been to the winners enclosure since last seasons WO Mile affair where he earned a 101 SRF figure against a number of runners he will face once again here. Snatched a 102 SRF two starts ago in the Pegasus going longer, and he was on the lead at the mile marker, so this distance may very well bring him back around for a victory over this surface.
4. Argead ( Fractious) Jockey- Lopez P…Trainer has been making considerable purchases of late and he now adds this gray four year old to his stables. This will be his first start for new interests, so looking at recent works to possibly tell the tale, he had a bullet work of 1:09 and two fifths four days prior to this event. Hopefully that means he is good to go come post time, as he finished four back in eleventh position in the Pegasus at the beginning of the season. Since making the switch to the grass, has gone three for four, two of those at a mile. Watch for a turn around here.
3. Siberian Prince ( SIR Daniel Martin ) Jockey- Pereira T J ….Has been tossed in the allowance ranks for protection in his past four starts and this will be his first Graded company race of the season. Last stakes affair was the Gr. II Seabiscuit Hdcp. event where he would finish four back in seventh after being tight in the mix through the middle part of the race. This horse/rider combination are coming off a victory in their most recent, so keeping them together here may prove to be profitable.
2. Nice Dive ( Threshold) Jockey-Pennington F…While his earning are not up with some of the runners entered in this event, he is tops when it comes to career victories with 12 wins in 28 starts. To find a comparison with others today we need to look back to the WO Mile event where he would stay consistently in the hunt throughout that race, placing fourth just a length shy. He would also earn a 101 SRF figure for the event, placing him alongside others here who capitalized on the Taylor turf at WO. Has been racing against some sub 1:33 mile times, so with this inner post, it could play a factor.
1. Devilish Details ( Mb Stables) Jockey-Gutierrez Mario…Second for this trainer in this event and was able to snatch the rail post position. After five unsuccessful attempts and getting to the winners enclosure this four year old finally accomplished the feat against Alw33 company in his most recent. Sometimes getting a horse back to the feel of winning is what is needed to keep the ball rolling. What concerns me is that he worked over at SA just four days prior, so he has been on the trailer ever since to bring him here, so hopefully that doesn’t factor into his strength for this race.
Writer’s Comments– So why the outside/in coverage for this race. With all the Covid 19 issues we are dealing with in our society these days, I think we need to start to look at things from the Outside/In. How can we help the World improve on this situation. much like we focus on our horses and help them to improve on the track. I know the big focus is on Stay In, Stay Safe, but there are many out there who are on the front lines on a daily bases, one being our own Jive Inc in New York City. Banding together for a cause is what as humans we do best, striving to make our world a better place. Forget all the petty issues of our daily lives and lets get ourselves ahead of the curve and defeat this virus. This is a great community of brothers and sisters who enjoy horseracing and are able to continue from the comforts of our homes, the ability to do so. Maybe during this time HRP can stand for Heroes Rescuing People…..