TwinTowersRacing will be bringing two entries out of the dozen who will represent this years $1,000.000 CT Classic. Add to that the four year old colt so named Twin Towers ( Smokey Stover ) who will break from the lucky seven hole, and this could turn out to be an exciting affair. He was last seasons BC Classic winner!!
- CT Classic ( Gr.II ) (P3) Purse $1,000.000
- Charles Town- For Four Years old and Up
- One Mile and One eighth in Distance- Main Track
- Saturday April 18th, 2020
There have been some memorable moments in the history of the CT Classic. In 2011, Mrs Bombastic became the first and only filly to win this event against the boys. Mb Stables has won three of these events over the years, 2013/14 and 2018, while D J C Racing Stables managed to take Niagra to back to back wins in 2015/16, with the latter being a dead heat race alongside A One ( Eastern Equine). AS for TwinTowersRacing, Tommy has saddle runners in 2013/17/19, and has yet to finish in the top three. Could this be the year of reckoning for him? Hopefully he will have something to say at the wire with one or even both of his entries.
Here’s a look at the seasons competitors;
1. Long Time Ago ( Maletto ) Jockey-Bravo J...This horse and rider teamed up most recently in the Gr.III Hals Hope Stakes down at Gulfstream and managed to walk away with a narrow head bob at the wire. Same distance as today and slims a pound of his back. Rail position is also a plus. Must consider here. 22 day turnaround should be ideal for him to find his best efforts.
2. For The Boys ( D J C Racing Stables ) Jockey-Desormeaux K J...Here is an experienced trainer/jockey combination for this affair. This horses last victory came at a longer 12 panel affair at PRX back in October. Since that event he has seen nothing but top Grade I races, but with little success. Did compete in last seasons BC Classic, but will need to face the winner here once again. Can trainer get CT Classic win number three? Questionable in my opinion.
3. Serengeti Sands ( TwinTowersRacing ) Jockey-Lopez P…This trio teamed up two starts ago in the Gr. III General George Stakes where they lost out by a nose in the photo. The winner of that affair was made the post time favorite in the recent Gr.I Carter and only missed by a neck at the line. This one has the ability to give this trainer his first Classic win, but if unable to complete that task, should finally get Tommy his first top three placing for this event.
4. Instagooglefacetweet ( Threshold ) Jockey- Vasquez R A…lightly raced rider for this season coming over from Oaklawn Park, but has a 23.3 winning percentage for his career. Finished last season with two Graded company victories, then just a runner-up placing in a Non Graded affair. Opened this year competing in the Gr.III Razorback where he finished a dismal eleventh, four lengths shy. May try to go to the top as he has done in the past, but a mid pack effort should pay dividends if deployed.
5. Erupt ( Estero Farms ) Jockey- Hernandez R M…Moved over to this barn after a late October purchase for a high price, then after a last place finish in the BC Classic, has turned the corner and taking home back to back victories. His most recent came in the Gr.III Challenger Stakes going a mile and a sixteenth, so the added distance should work as well. Is stepping up slightly but is out of a sire who won this event twice, so he may have something to say.
6. Tactical ( Mb Stables) Jockey-Saez L…All the markings of a true champion for this horse. While his trainer is a three time winner of this affair, this gray four year old stands on his own merit. Has four wins and two runner-up efforts in his past six starts, with a neck lost in the BC Classic, but a major victory in the Gr.I Pegasus Gold Cup to open this season. Two for two this year, and he also has earned three 100+ SRF figures as well recently. Top contender.
7. Twin Towers ( Smokey Stover) Jockey Espinoza V…While he may have missed by two lengths in the Pegasus this season, his trainer made the smart move to place him in a Allowance company affair to get him back on track where he missed by a nose. Now stepping back up here should reap the benefits from that switch. We must not forget that he did win the BC Classic race last season ahead of others entered today, and if he is primed, may just very well get back to that form once again. His sire is also a winner of this affair.
8. Splash Mountain ( John Henry) Jockey-Talamo J...Closed out last season capturing the Gr.I Cigar Mile event up at AQU. Lost in the photo to Tactical in the Pegasus by a nose, then placed third with a closing effort in the Gr.II GP Mile race in his most recent. The added furlong should help his efforts here and with the two runners that his rider needs to keep an eye on directly to his inside, the race may be decided off the far turn with this grouping. Placement at the head of the stretch will be key.
9. Achilles ( Diablo Diablo ) Jockey- Court J K…Has called upon the services of a rider who is in top form winning at a 36% clip this season. Has a very fast 1:09 and four morning workout just 4 days prior to this event over this oval, so the horse is definitely ready. Just missed by three quarters of a length in the Pegasus and most recent captured the prestigious Gr. I SA Handicap going a longer mile and a quarter. Might be a tad short for his ability, but will be charging late for a share.
10. Long Term Investment ( TwinTowersRacing) Jockey-Tunon M…second entry for this trainer here and this will be the third straight time this horse and jockey have teamed up. Won the Gr.III Hooper in their opener of the year, then came back with a fourth place finish shy by two in the GP Mile. He was closing in that event from some distance back so the added furlong may be just the right pill to swallow here. Trainer has confidence in both these two.
11. Market Value ( Nakamura Stables) Jockey-Gryder A T…Trainer has been building confidence with this rider of late in other stakes events. Has drawn one of the two worse post for this event, but will need to not get out too quickly from the start here. Gryder was aboard for his most recent tenth place finish in the Gr.II NO Handicap affair, but I am pretty sure that Nak has adjusted the instruction for this event to find him a bit more productive late in the game.
12. Broken Tap ( Arindel) Jockey- Zayas E J…Was fortunate to grab the rail post in three of his last six starts, but now finds the dreaded twelve hole. Jockey has two wins in six starts from outside post, but it is listed that it is a weakness of his. He has been aboard in his last four races, and he will more then likely try to beat this pack from the gate to get to the front and dictate the pace. If he is able to maintain a little in the tank for the stretch run he could surprise, if not he will fade fast in the final furlong.
Additional Affairs– Two other Non Graded races are on the CT card for Saturday. The opener will be the seven furlong Confucius Say Stakes with four entries. Lightly raced trainer Winplace has returned with the winner of this event last season Skeleton Fueled in hopes of recapturing the title. He has been runner-up in all three of his stakes starts this season and his trainer is hoping to break that trend. Of the other runners in here who may keep him in that runner-up trend, it may come from Team 7 Illusions Dustu who has fallen out of the clouds to compete here.
The other event is the Original Gold Stakes for the ladies. Also a seven furlong event like for the boys, it too has attracted a field of four runners with possibly Martyparty’s Americanhockeyparty looking to go three straight this season. Has a win and a runner-up here at CT in her past six starts, so she does like the oval. Coldest ( T Boy Racing) tried the turf for two starts since the switch to her new interest, but is making the trip home once again in hopes of hitting the mark. Dropping from the Graded ranks will be Techno Slayer ,out of two time winning trainer and last years winner The Sidley Stud. Did win a six and a half restricted stakes here with this filly as a juvie, so the distance should not be a concern.